Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler is The One

Hi everyone,

Die-hard fans of My Makeup Blog probably know how I feel about my lashes. Like many Asians, I do have a nice head of hair. However, I always wish the long and luscious hair on my head were my eyelashes. I have straight and stubby lashes that need heavy coaxing to look barely visible. Sad, I know.

Since I discovered the 8th wonder of the Universe that's called an eyelash curler, my life had changed for the better. I said au revoir to the sad droopy lashes and welcomed a more curvaceous lash line. Sadly, I cannot go against nature that easily. During 2009-2010, I went through approximately 5 eyelash curlers. And that was a conservative number. The actual amount of curlers that I threw to the trash can was a lot higher. The reason?

The pad.

Everything looked fine and dandy during the first week when the rubber was barely broken in. However, things went downward from week two and beyond. I felt like my lashes were chewing on leather the whole time I tried to curl them with the curler. I could have avoided all of the drama had I shelled out 19 bucks and bought a Shu Uemura eyelash curler.

By the time I wised up, the Shu curler was no longer available at Sephora. Le sigh. So I did the best I could: I went on Twitter and raved. Many other beauty bloggers commiserated my sorrow but they could not do anything since they live in the U.S. However, my friend Dreezy came to the rescue. Since she lives in Singapore, she could get me a Shu curler. So we did an impromptu swap: she sent me a package that included the Shu and many other gorgeous extras in exchange for some Formula D products.

The moment her package arrived, I almost hugged the mail man, then ran to my (then) apartment and ripped the bubble mailer open. I could feel the wind flowing from heaven and somewhere outside my apartment, birds just sang a joyful song.

"The Shu! The Shu! I got the Shu!" I yelled.

Then I gently put the legendary eyelash curler to my eyes and did a quick walk from root to tips. And OMGee, people ain't lie when they said this stuff is the ish!

Shu Uemura eyelash curler ($19)
 Wanna know why I think so highly of The Shu? Jump!

Like Apple products, Shu Uemura took a minimalist approach to his product. However, don't let that fool you. Inside that plain box lies a legend. The Shu Uemura eyelash curler.

Look how sexy it is!
Wanna know how prestigious my eyelash curler is? Read the name ;)
(It is very easy to get obnoxious when I use the Shu. After all, this is a fine product of Japanese engineering.)
Besides the full-size curler Dreezy sent me, I got a mini eyelash curler before.
Why I didn't get a full-size one at the time I bought the mini is still a mystery to me!
 And now, what makes The Shu so great? Let me break it down for you:

First of all, I would like to believe the pad is something Shu Uemura designed specifically for straight eyelashes. Unlike other pads that go soft after a week or so of crimping, the ones included in the Shu curler is as tough as car tires. You can crimp all you want and it would not split in the middle. With that said, the pads can last pretty long. I've read and heard stories of people who have not replaced their pads in years.

Secondly, you need to notice the angle of this curler. It is more slanted than other curlers available in the market. Just take a look at the pictures below:

(L): cheap generic eyelash curler, (R): Le Shu
 Still haven't seen the difference? Let me put them next to each other:

See the difference in the angles between these eyelash curlers?
If you are like me and you have deep set eyes, regular eyelash curlers would make you feel like you're digging into your eyes just to get to your lashes. However, with a more slanted angle, the Shu Uemura eyelash curler can easily reach to your eyes and encase all of your lashes. Before, I used to have some uncurled lashes at the corners. Now, all the lashes are beautifully curled and they last for a very long time.

Is it worth the hype? Definitely! I still ask myself why I didn't buy The Shu earlier in my life. I mean, I read about it, I fantasized giving it as a Christmas gift to myself. I really did. It could have saved me a lot of pain and sorrow had I bought it years earlier. Just think about all the money I could have saved from buying cheapie eyelash curlers. Really.

The sad thing about this Shu Uemura eyelash curler saga is: it is not available at Sephora anymore. However, if you want it and you live in the U.S, you still can order it online. Shu makeup products are awesome. It's just that their prices are not friendly to a lot of people's pocket. But on the other hand, you can stock up with a whole lotta eyelash curlers to get free shipping.

So, what do you think about Shu Uemura eyelash curler? I found the Sonia Kashuk curler to have the same angle at the Shu but it has a soft pad instead. Also, I've heard many good things about Revlon curlers but they don't seem to do it for me. What is your HG curlers, fearless readers?

Photobucket
P.S: If you like my blog, please subscribe to my feed. Thanks a lot!