I Love Lucy Liu

Being an Asian girl sometimes put me in a disadvantage position when it comes to makeup. There are not so many Asian movie and TV stars these days. The ones I know are Lucy Liu, Bai Ling, BD Wong in Law and Order, Masi Oka in Heroes, and George Takai. There are probably more but I can't think of any right now. To be honest, I don't like Bai Ling's style that much. Lucy Liu, on the other hand, has a great sense of style and her makeup always look flawless yet effortless. Morever, we have the same eye shapes! Score!

Like Lucy Liu, I have a pair of deep set and monolid eyes which deems some certain challenging qualities. First of all, my eyes do not have folds so I basically have to guidlines when it comes to creases. I just guess and apply. Secondly, when trying to bring the deep set eyes forward, they can also look smaller with dark eyeshadows. Moreover, my eyes are small so I don't have a lot of real estates to apply eyeshadows the way I want. Opening up the eyebrows does help a bit but it's not everything. So with small and deep set eyes, it is hard to work with and I've seen many MAC makeup artists stumbled when they applied makeup to my eyes.

But my girl Lucy has the best solution for our type of eyes. It's called K.I.S.S (keep it simple, stupid!) She does not put a lot of eyeshadows on her eyes but concentrate more on her cheeks. She has killer cheekbones by the way. She also keeps her lips very neutral as she does not have lips like Julia Roberts that shows all of her teeth.


I love this look: it's simple, it's fresh, it's effortless. She does use mascaras to ascentutes her lashes. This is a very effective way to bring out the deep set eyes. No wonder why I've been smitten with mascaras since forever. It's all about the eyes, baby!


In this look, if you look closely you can see her freckles. If you know Asian people, most of them hate freckles. They would use cremes to remove the freckles and apply heavy makeup to cover them. Lucy Liu, however, does not do that. From the way the picture looks, she does not seem to have heavy makeup at all.

Lucy Liu sported the smokey eyes in this picture. Her smokey eyes are perfect as they are not too dark. She also used fake lashes to ascentuate her eyes and again, she concentrated more on the cheeks. You can see her freckles as well.

There I said it: I love Lucy Liu! I think her makeup artists (or even herself) did a good job on the makeup. The K.I.S.S way does work wonderfully in our type of eyes. After realizing I have the same eyes as she does, I just stopped trying too hard to achieve some certain looks and accept the way I am. Beauty comes in different shapes and sizes, you don't need to look a certain way to be considered beautiful.

Some of my favorite quotes:

"Pretty is something you're born with. But beautiful, that's an equal opportunity adjective."
- Annonymous

"Beauty is how you feel inside, and it reflects in your eyes. It is not something physical."
- Sophia Loren

So our message of the day is K.I.S.S. It works on Lucy Liu and many other celebrities, it should work on us too!

Take care and be beautiful,
Your Makeup Blogger