DIY Lip Scrub with Sugar and Vaseline

Hi everyone,

Lately, my lips have been feeling très dry. But the strange thing is, the dryness is not all over the whole lip but only at the left corner of the upper lip. I tried moisturizing my lips with many, many things in vain. That specific area remained dry and flaky for days!

Therefore, I had to bring in the big gun: I must exfoliate the heck out of that area. Instead of using my now famous sugar-honey-olive oil scrub, I decided to be a little bit adventurous and use the new sugar and vaseline scrub instead.


What you need:
  • Petroleum jelly or petroleum-free jelly  
  • Granulated sugar: you don't need a lot of sugar. The amount shown in the picture is just for show.
How to wing it:



  •  Squeeze a pea-size amount of Vaseline or petroleum-free jelly onto the palm of your hand and sprinkled a teeny-tiny bit of granulated sugar. The sugar is used as a physical exfoliator while the jelly is a lubricant so you won't tear out your skin while scrubbing. Also, since sugar doesn't dissolve in Vaseline or petroleum-free jelly, you are not afraid of the sugar being dissolved.


  • Mix them together. They should look like one fine mess like in the above picture.
  • Then, apply the mess with your finger onto your lips and gently scrub it around. The key word here is gently, people! I really don't want you to bust your lips open at all!
  • After some gentle scrubbing, wipe the sugar off your lips with a damp towel and apply some lip balm on top. Your lips is going to feel silky smooth from the exfoliating action.
I did the scrub twice before that strange dryness went away. Although it is tempting to do a batch, this is a rather easy mix and I would suggest to do it as you go. This lip scrub is very effective and save you a lot of money on having to buy lip scrubs sold at the store. I personally don't believe in those products as they are just a waste of money. Besides, you can do this at home with easily available (and cheap) ingredients as well.

That's all for now, folks! I hope you are having a wonderful week!

With love,
Dao xoxo




P.S: Please show your support by following my blog and subscribing to my feed. Thanks a lot!