Happy Memorial Day!

Hi everybody,

Today is Memorial Day, a day to remember U.S military soldiers who died in service. For us, we get a day off to spend time with families and do all the wonderful activities together. Memorial Day also signifies the start of summer shopping. I went to the mall yesterday and it was very crowded.

Arts et. al.

Recently, it dawned on me that I really could not shoot good pictures. The quality of the pictures at My Makeup Blog is not so wonderful and I really want to change that. My initial reaction is to blame my camera (Canon Powershot SD590 IS.) It's basically a dinosaur since coming to the market in 2007. Now, Canon probably already launched the Powershot SD-eleventy bazillion IS or something like that but the thing is, my camera still sells. It's a decent point and shoot for beginners and it does wonderful things to me and my blog. But God forbids, it's no D-SLR.

According to a whole lot of people on the internet who actually know a lot about digital photography, you should not blame your cameras because cameras don't shoot pictures. People shoot pictures.

Earth to Dao, duh!

And then, I received this newsletter from Etsy discussing about pictures and one thing sank: my lightning sucks big time! Since I need to use flash, and my camera doesn't have the best flash in the world, my pictures ended up with over-saturated lights.

But that's easy to fix: with proper lightning and auto white balance in the manual option, I got this picture:


No flash, just a little bit of cropping and a tiny bit of color correction to make it look like that. Nice, right? The colors are so true in this picture. What you see is what you get.

So, please don't blame your camera. Read the manual and play with lightning. And I know, I'm not an expert in this aspect. I have a lot to learn but just a small change makes such a huge difference.

Please enjoy the rest of your day. I'm sure I will :)

Photobucket

P.S: If you like my blog, please subscribe to my feed. Thanks a lot!